Tuesday 17 January 2012

Sunsets and upsets...

The sun at this time of year is weak, there are no rays of warmth to bask in, the ice on the ground remains all day as the strength in the suns brightness is just not strong enough to melt it all away. When you awake and throw open your curtains and your morning greeting is the sight of a pink and orange sky with jet stripes, when you get out in the fresh air and you walk with the crunch under foot, I think the lack of warmth can be forgiven and replaced with many layers of hand knitted sweaters, hats, scarfs and even mittens, only to return home to a warm and cosy home, light up the cooker, get the water boiling and indulge in some hot chocolate and marshmallows...oh the January diet!!!
Yes indeed, the weather has been sunny and crisp under foot so the Dotty Red family have been out and about enjoying the break from the rain. The rhythm of family life continues even though life keeps throwing those curved balls at us. Whilst the orders are quiet at this time of year I am busy upping my stock.
Its funny back in September when the sun was shining and the beach called, I found it very hard to work on Christmas goodies, all that red, green and gold. Yet here I am in the depth of winter, snow threatening to fall any day now on the moors and the fabric I am holding is beach huts, sailing boats and bunting, bright and light colours.
No I find no difficulty thinking about my spring and summer collection, even if I hand sew by the fire in the evening when the little ones sleep off their days business. When I cut out patterns on the table in the kitchen to get the warmth from the soup cooking on the hob in the day, or even sit in my sewing room next to the heater, which saves me putting the heating on throughout the day and warming my hands up on hot mugs of spiced tea just to keep my hands able to move...
...my head swims with ideas, of fish, boats, little houses, caravans and or course bunting!
Ah...did I tell you I treated myself this Christmas to a little pile of felt from the lovely Sarah at Paper and String. Just in case I managed to get a few moments to myself over the busy holiday to have a play, just for fun, just for me. So when it all got a bit frantic, a bit too emotional, I snook into my room and shut the door, threaded up Chloe (my sewing machine) in some black thread and changed over my needle and foot then I played...
I made houses, boxes, glasses cases (cases all sold over December) key rings and my completely new venture... bookmarks.
Due to the amount of books I have this is something that I can not understand why I have not made some sooner, I was given a bookmark years ago, you know one of the laminated ones with this design drawn (without the flowers) so I used it for my inspiration. One is being used and it marks my place in my storybook right here next to me now.
Oh and books, I have got some fabulous books over the holidays, brimming with ideas and lots of lovely pictures. I was also lucky enough to get a years subscription to the amazing Mollie Makes magazine. This makes me very happy indeed.
Of course with the decorations down now the house looks a little empty (surly not possible here) but this lovely vase of tulips is brightening my day and helping me hold on to the thought that spring is on its way so when those upsets and curve balls come my way, I can feel the inner glow that reminds me that its the simple things in life that matter...


10 comments:

devonmama said...

What beautiful flowers! Your crafty goodies are lovely, 'specially the bookmarks, so sweet! x

Thimbleanna said...

Your work is always so pretty Susie! I love the little beach hut bag! And I have that red riding hood ribbon in my stash - I love it on your little bags!

Ruth said...

Love all your work Suzie - and it is so nice to think summer will be on its way...eventually. I especially love the bookmarks - great idea! I hope life is back on an even keel for you.

Debby said...

Such cute new items. I love them all. I am sure it is easy for you to think of summer and the beach because I think that's where your heart is.
You answered my question about the weather, hah.

moonstruckcreations said...

Such pretty pictures, love the little cases!

And the jug of flowers really cheers the heart.

BTW Im having a little birthday giveaway over at my blog, it would be super if you would pop over and join in!

Helenxx

Claire said...

A lovely post Susie, you certainly have been busy building up your stock. Cute little book marks, I think you can never have too many of them.

The Tulips in the jug are gorgeous, such a bright splash of colour , but that sunrise, wooooow, that takes your breath away doesn't it.......

ANd you're right....it is the simple things in life that really matter.

Claire :}

Unknown said...

Have I told you lately how much I love your blog , I really do . Thanks so much for always posting so beautifully !

Pene said...

What alot or gorgeous goodies you've been making, I love the beach hut material so summery.Its a nice reminder that the temp will rise above freezing sometime!!
It's always lovely when I get an email from you and I'm glad to know you and Rosy are doing fine
Take care and big hugs
Pene and Daisy x

Tracy said...

LOVELY sky there... *swoon*... Today the sky is platinum here, that steely-gray before snow. Very cold too...bbbrrr...But I feel warm looking at all these pretties you've made that feel like springtime! You come up with the greatest designs, Suzie! LOVE those zip bags. May things be smoother sailing for you this new year. :o) Thanks for your visits ((HUGS))

SuzeJones said...

Delicious pics of lovely things, you clever lady! I'm seeking the warmth by using lots of bright colours in the new tea towel range I'm very slowly working on. S x