Sunday 26 September 2010

Forever Autumn

Is it just me or does there seem to be no transition to the seasons this year?

I love summer, its my favourite time of year and this year it seems to have been super short. The summer holidays went by in a bit of a blur as I dealt with 'stuff'. Indeed an odd summer and it was only when it was the last week of the holidays I finally felt that summer contentment that touches my soul and sees me through the winter months...So with the children safely in school now and my new life just at the seedling stage. My last week saw me become a student and complete a days work in the real world not just in my sewing room. The weekend before all these changes had me planning a weekend at the beach with friends. I went off with my weekend bag packed with towels and swim wear and even my wetsuit. Well wet it was, it rained all weekend and was cold, the realisation that summer was indeed OVER for another year hit me hard. It filled my heart with sadness. So to make up for the dreadful weather, yummy treat food was nibbled, rich hearty red wine and cushions and quilts to snuggle under in front of the fire with a couple of trusty movies. BLISS.
Yes it warmed up my heart and set me up for the challenges of the week ahead. So here I am again another week over, a week of many things new...
Of course the Dotty red work room also needed a lot of time spent in it, working on orders and preparing for the next season. The fabrics have moved on from the delicate washed out beach hut colours to a warmer and richer set of shades and heavier fabric moving away from the light crisp linens to warm textured cord..
The autumnal cushions are making me happy, mixing different techniques, applique, crochet, quilting...
Yes a busy little week, ending in heading off to my little place by the sea, for a wild, wet and windy walk along an empty beach, snuggling up in the evening with my boys and reading our selection of books and magazines. Once the little ones are asleep I have curled up with a glass of wine and managed a little hand sewing listening to the radio.

Time to pack up now and head back home to reality... wondering what this week will bring... I wish you a good one.

(Autumnal picture was taken last year, it a traditional picture, same picture, same place, same children, for the four years I take the this picture, only a few weeks till we take this years...) I love these family traditions and rituals.

Edited to add... sorry crochet cushions sold, can be made to order:)

7 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I just love all your pillows with all the different details. All of your creations are so sweet. I would like to embroider -- haven't done so since I was 12. Bought many supplies at thrift stores this summer. Just gotta give it a go one of these days. Love that little video of the boys in the yarn store. ha! That's definitely the way my boys would be reacting. They hate the mention of a trip to the craft store. :) Hope you are having a great weekend. It still feels like summer around here and will for quite some time. :/ Best wishes, Tammy

marit said...

Beautiful and cheerful cushions!

Autumn has always been my favourite season- crisp, clear air, gorgeous colours, and lots of hot tea and knitting in front of the fireplace. My kids prefer summer though...with swimming and fun in the sun...

Wishing you a good week.

French Knots said...

It has been a perfect autumn weekend here, crisp sunny days digging on the allotment and harvesting beans, pumpkin and squash.
Hope your short dose of summer sees you through the winter.x

periwinkle said...

I couldn't agree more about the no transition from one season to another but then again we didn;t have much of a summer... I'm already feeling like I just want to hibernate . I started work thi week too - makes such a difference doesn't it ..

Thimbleanna said...

Yummm....and empty beach -- sounds heavenly! I love all your pretty pillows -- especially those adorable tags and the way you fasten them to the pillow - very clever!

JuicyFig said...

Loving your Autumn collection! it has been one of those grey overcast neither here nor there days here today :~(

Kath
x

Kitty said...

I agree that summer seemed short this year. I think it was because spring was late after our very cold winter, and thus we really didn't have as much warmth as we might another year. Here's hoping this winter isn't quite as challenging - in more ways than one.

Take care :) x